Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Moment to Mourn . . .

I had planned on doing my blog this week about going back to school and starting school for the first time, I will still post that blog, but I had to change my plans when I heard the news that Reading Rainbow will no longer air on PBS. After 26 years of encouraging literacy and a love of reading on public television, the funding for the program has run out.

I know that I would not be in the field I am in today if it were not for the love of reading and knowledge that was encouraged by my near daily watching of Reading Rainbow as a child.

So I would like to take this moment to say thank you to LeVar Burton and the other producers of the show for their years of dedication to children's literacy, and for the profound effect they have had on my own life. THANK YOU!!

Here is a list of all the Reading Rainbow books over the years, some of my favorites include Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters, Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain, Mummies Made in Egypt, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Abiyoyo and The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash . . . but you don't have to take my word for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment